Apart from Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) Potato is the most favorite dish in India, almost everyone like potato in any form. So this a recipe of Jeera Aloo- which is spicy and yummy combination of cumin seeds and potatoes. It is very easy to prepare, real quick dish, which goes very well with rotis, puris or rice and dal.
- Potatoes - 4 medium sized
- Green chillies - 2, finely chopped.
- Cumin seeds - 2 tsps
- Asafoetid/hing - a pinch
- Coriander seeds - 2 tsps
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Amchur/dry mango powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves - to garnish
- Salt - As per taste.
- Oil - 4 tsp
How To Prepare Jeera Aloo:
- Pressure cook the potatoes till 1 whistle and switch off the flame. Remove the potatoes from the cooker once it cools down and peel the skins off and cut them into small cubes.
- Heat a tawa and dry roast cumin seeds and coriander seeds until they turn dark brown (do not burn them) and then powder them coarsely.
- Heat about 1 tsp oil in a kadai and fry the potatoes on medium flame till they start turning light brown and crisp.
- In the same kadai, add the remaining 3 tsps of oil and add cumin seeds. When they crackle, add hing and then add the green chillies and fry them.
- Add the coarsely ground cumin and coriander powder, amchur powder, red chilli powder, the fried potatoes and salt and mix them well and let it cook on medium flame for about 2-3 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves and remove from fire.
- Serve with rotis or parathas.